Help extracting end of summer

Discussion and questions.
zotter_bee

Help extracting end of summer

Post by zotter_bee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am

Hi All,

I'm a fairly new beekeeper, just one hive at the moment. But it looks like I'll have 2-3 filled medium supers by the end of the season this year. Can anyone help me extract this honey and lead me through my first session of how to do it correctly? I have some bottles and can get whatever I need beforehand (if someone can tell me what to get.) I can travel to wherever you do your extraction and provide an extra set of hands for your extraction in exchange for experience and help as well.

I know the Boulder extension will rent an extractor, I am hoping to locate someone with experience as well to help with the process.

Many thanks in advance,
Joe

zotter_bee

Re: Help extracting end of summer

Post by zotter_bee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:55 pm

Anyone ever used Urban Homesteading for their extraction needs? It looks promising for a hobbist and/or smaller beekeeper. You drop off your full frames, they uncap and extract in a commercial kitchen they rent, you pick up your honey and (empty) frames a day or two later. $.50 / lb to extract, you can also sell your honey to them for $2.50 / lb if desired. Has anyone tried this sort of method before? Seems like it might be an easy way to extract without having to do it all yourself.

Here's a link to Urban Homesteading in Denver:

http://www.denverurbanhomesteading.com/beekiping.htm

Backyard Bees

Re: Help extracting end of summer

Post by Backyard Bees » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 am

Hi, Joe.

While we haven't used Urban Homesteading, extracting services like this are fairly common and worth checking out. It's a nice way to enjoy your first crop of honey without all the mess. Give them a try and let us know what you think.

Laura
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306
http://www.BackyardBees.com