bringing bee set-ups in from out-of-state

Discussion and questions.
claire coppola

bringing bee set-ups in from out-of-state

Post by claire coppola » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:46 pm

I am moving to the Boulder area in one to two months from NJ. have hive boxes & supers for 2 colonies & other beekeeping equipment (no bees now for past 2 yrs) and wondering if i should take a stab at beekeeping along the front range. i have been frustrated by bears, undiagnosed disease and super cold winters in my 3 attempts to get colonies to thrive. one concern is crossing state lines (no bees or honey or comb) any advice welcomed!

kristinahoney

Re: bringing bee set-ups in from out-of-state

Post by kristinahoney » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:16 pm

There are no restrictions for empty equipment as far as I know. If you were to move live bees, you'd need a certificate of health from your home state bee inspector/detpt of ag and be ready to show it at any time in any of the states you pass through. Going into CA, you'd have to stop at an inspection station at the border. You should be fine with what you have. Personally, I'd leave frames behind since you mention trouble getting started and undiagnosed disease. You'll have all the same problems here in Boulder! If you need help, feel free to contact me when you get here.
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Beehave mentoring and support
Boulder, CO
[email protected]