Those of you still reading ...

A 2012 discussion of Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring."
Book Club Host

Those of you still reading ...

Post by Book Club Host » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 pm

What do you think about Silent Spring given the point you're at in the reading right now?

DavisChurches

Re: Those of you still reading ...

Post by DavisChurches » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Am on chapter 6 - going to keep going.
-S.

igmula1

Post by igmula1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm still reading! Just really behind - life has a tendency to do that sometimes. I'm about half way through Chapter 10 and still really enjoying the book. I've had numerous conversations with my family about it - my husband (who used to hold a pesticide license with the state and now refuses to renew it) has decided to read the book when I'm through - and my mother who read it during a college-level ecology course in high school wants to read it again.

What occurs to me repeatedly throughout is how complex life is and how difficult it is for us to realize the affect our actions have on other organisms and on our own futures. Even on a small scale, within our own neighborhoods, how are we affecting one another? With all we've learned, there is still so much we don't know. And probably never will.

I live in northern Colo, land of the sagebrush, so I found the parts about the campaign to alter the land for cattle grazing of particular interest. I didn't know that happened!

And another thing . . . I can't believe that I used to go out and sit on the corral fence on the mornings before school to watch the crop dusters spray the fields adjacent to our house! Mom must have never realized what I was doing and I can't believe I used to think it was harmless!

Also Laura, thanks for recommending the Breasts book. I'm going to have to check it out!

Book Club Host

Post by Book Club Host » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for the check-ins, DavisChurches and Igmula1.

I'm picturing Rachel Carson at her writing desk 50+ years ago and feeling touched by how her thoughts/words are still informing us – and our dear ones through us – today. Thank you for sharing so generously.

I savored the first few chapters then chomped through the rest to make a review deadline. Look for my piece about Silent Spring in the September issue of Bee Culture. (Yes, the opportunity arose from this group.) Looking back the thing that most stands out for me about the book is the beauty of the writing & the sensitivity of the writer, more so than the horror of the stories told.

Keep reading! I hope to hear some of your thoughts here when you're through.