BCBA Members Hive Tour

Events of interest to BCBA members.
kristinahoney

BCBA Members Hive Tour

Post by kristinahoney » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello BCBA Members!
We're putting together two hive tours for this weekend, Saturday 19 August 3-5:30 (ish). One will focus on the Longmont area and will be led by Miles Mcgaughey. The other will focus on the Boulder area and will be led by me. This is an exclusive BCBA members only event.
We're looking for 3 apiaries to visit for each tour. We'll gather at one, then go as a group to the others. We'll do hive inspections on 1-2 hives at each stop, talk about what we see (or don't), what's working well, and what the next steps might be based on the bees and what their keepers want from them. We'll do mite tests and discuss options for treatment, answer questions to best of our ability, demonstrate lighting a smoker, how to move around bees, what to look for during a hive inspection, and when it's time to close up a hive. This should be informative and fun for everyone of any level.
THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM SESSION!!!

We won't rap your knuckles with a hive tool if your frames aren't spaced perfectly or if your smoker goes out. This is a great way to get to know other beekeepers in your area, share triumphs and things you'll do better next time.

Everyone must wear a veil. You can bring whatever other protective gear makes you comfortable. Bring your smoker if you want to practice lighting it with the group. You'll be asked to sign a liability waiver. Bring a camera, notepad, whatever you want for taking notes. Water.

So, if you'd like your apiary to be on the tour, and/or you're interested in attending, please contact me, Kristina,
directly at
[email protected] or
720-278-6872 (mobile/text)
with your name, address, number and type of hives
I'll try to put together two tours of 3 apiaries each that aren't too far apart.
Hope to see lots of you this Saturday!
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Beehave, LLC mentoring and support for bees and their keepers.