Are Bumblebees and Honeybees friends?

Discussion and questions.
linda_rm

Are Bumblebees and Honeybees friends?

Post by linda_rm » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Today when I checked my hive I found a large bumblebee walking around the combs with my bees, who didn't seem to care. As soon as I lifted the comb out of the hive it flew away. Why weren't the bees attacking it? Are they friends? Was it trying to rob the hive? Was it lost?
I thought this was a bit of a weird thing to see. Anyone have any ideas about this?
thanks!
Linda rm

kristinahoney

Re: Are Bumblebees and Honeybees friends?

Post by kristinahoney » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:16 am

Hi Linda,
Bumblebee queens are attracted to honey bee hives. I'm not sure why, but there is certainly the potential for a lot of food there. They are usually tolerated for the short time they are there. If they fly in while the hive is open, they bypass most of the guards too. What you saw was a queen, which is what I've always seen too. I've never seen worker bumbles go into a honey bee hive.
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Boulder

linda_rm

Post by linda_rm » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks Kristina!
Well I am glad to have bumblebees around because I am growing tomato plants. Hope she sets up house somewhere close by! She was already in the hive. Actually I just happened to wander over to my hive just exactly when she was going into the entrance without being stopped, it's one reason I went into the hive to see what was going on. Thanks so much for the reply!

j.joo2017

Post by j.joo2017 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks! I just wonder why Bumblebee queens are attracted to honey bee hives..
เล่นคาสิโนฟรี พร้อมแจกสูตรเทคนิคการเล่นคาสิโน ไม่มีค่าแรกเข้า สมัครเลย คาสิโน