Silent Spring – What's your edition?

A 2012 discussion of Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring."
Book Club Host

Silent Spring – What's your edition?

Post by Book Club Host » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:02 pm

I thought it might be fun, as an introduction, to hear what edition of Silent Spring you're reading and where you picked it up? I found this 1962 edition at the Meadows branch of the Boulder Public LIbrary. It is due this week so I have to return. Alas.
SilentSpringCover.jpg
SilentSpringCover.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 33898 times
The pen and ink illustrations by Lois and Louis Darling are wonderful. Does your edition have them?
Attachments
SilentSpringChapter1.jpg
SilentSpringChapter1.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 33898 times

TomTheobald

Re: Silent Spring – What's your edition?

Post by TomTheobald » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I just picked up a copy today (7-5) at Barnes and Noble in Boulder and it looks like it is a 2002 printing. It does have the pen and ink illustrations by the Darlings. For those of you who have this recent printing and want to refresh you memory of Rachel Carson, read page 379 first.
Tom Theobald

DavisChurches

Post by DavisChurches » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:06 am

Hi all-
I picked up a used 40th Edition paperback from Boulder Bookstore. It has the illustrations in it as well - brings me back to the days of illustrating with a "rapidiograph" pen on a white clay board (the points/dots were big back then).
At a 4th of July gathering, a new friend asked me what I was reading these days and I told her "Silent Spring". Much to my surprise - she didn't even skip a beat and said in a dreamy voice - "Oh yea...Rachel Carson."
Glad you put this (us) together Laura.
Regards,
-Susan

Jill Bradburn

Post by Jill Bradburn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you for this book group; I have wanted to read "Silent Spring" for a long time. When I started beekeeping I also cut out all use of biocides in my garden and wish I had done that a sooner.

This past weekend I borrowed the Fortieth Anniversary Edition from my father (a fellow beekeeper and gardener). This edition has an excellent introduction by Linda Lear and contains the beautiful Louis and Louis Darling drawings.

I look forward to our future discussions.

-Jill Bradburn

igmula1

Post by igmula1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Mine is also the 40th Anniversary Edition and I picked it up from a bookseller through Amazon.

I also want to extend my thanks to Laura for organizing this book club and Tom for his initial reply to Laura's email which really piqued my interest. I had never heard of the book before and now that I have started reading it, am shocked that I never have. It should be required reading for every generation.

~Jessica

Book Club Host

Post by Book Club Host » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Yay! You're here! I love hearing about the physical books you're reading. Thanks for signing in. This is going to be fun ...

miles1

Post by miles1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 am

I got my book awhile ago from amazon. It's the 2002 hardcover edition and it still has all the pictures that were in the original.

Book Club Host

Post by Book Club Host » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:15 am

Welcome and thanks for sharing your edition!