- This event has passed.
2022 September 7th General Meeting
September 7, 2022 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Featured speaker: Dr. Samuel Ramsey speaking in person on Varroa destructor, a timely topic for rising mite counts in September. Join us to welcome Dr. Ramsey to Boulder!
Save the Date: September 7th, 6:30-8:30pm
“Varroa Anatomy: Why it Matters to Your Bees”
with Dr. Samuel Ramsey, in Person!
Please Register for in-person and Zoom here. We’re asking you to register so we know we have enough room. Zoom link will be emailed 24 hours in advance to registrants. All are welcome! Bring a beekeeping friend!
Varroa are well-adapted to being parasites of honey bees. Some of their most fascinating adaptations are difficult to see with the naked eye, but with the help of the USDA Bee Lab and the Electron Microscopy Unit, you can see the mites from the bee’s perspective and learn why they’re so adept at being so destructive. An important talk for both beginner and experienced beekeepers!
About Dr. Ramsey: Dr. Ramsey received his B.S. in entomology from Cornell University and his Ph.D. in entomology from the University of Maryland College Park. He completed his post-doctoral training with Dr. Jay Evans, Steve Cook, and Daniel Sonenshine at USDA-ARS Bee Research Laboratory and now serves as Endowed Professor of Entomology at CU Boulder’s BioFrontiers Institute and the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Department. As part of his doctoral research, Dr. Ramsey discovered that Varroa destructor feeds on the fat bodies of honey bees and not on hemolymph, changing a 50 year paradigm on varroa mites.
- 6:30pm-7:00pm Meet & Greet Dr. Samuel Ramsey with snacks & beverages
- 7:00pm-7:15pm BCBA Announcements & Volunteer Recognition
- 7:15pm-8:05pm “Varroa Anatomy” by Dr. Samuel Ramsey
- 8:05pm-8:20pm Q&A with Dr. Ramsey
- 8:20pm-8:30pm Giveaways for in person participants!
Calling all Volunteers! We are looking for volunteers for:
- 6:00pm on 9/7 for room set up and greeter
- 8:30pm on 9/7 for room clean up and to move tables back
- To volunteer, sign up at Signup Genius
- Earn a BCBA T-shirt when you volunteer for any BCBA event or committee!! BCBA T-shirts can only be earned by volunteering.