Might need a new Queen

Discussion and questions.
SabinaBailey

Might need a new Queen

Post by SabinaBailey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am

I'm a first-year beekeeper and have a thriving hive. Though, I recently did my second mite check last week and the count was high...so I treated w/ the Mite Away Quick Strips for the first time. This was quite difficult for me as I avoid, at all costs, toxic chemicals in my home and garden. But I felt I had to defer to veteran beekeepers and took these steps to avoid losing my hive. Still, it's been rather distressing. Especially b/c when I checked on my hive last night, the bees at the entrance seemed to be suffering and several had already died.

I thought this was due to the Quick Strips, but discovered a bunch of yellow jackets flying around this morning and wondered if the hive had been robbed -- due to the wide open entrance I left for ventilating the hive.

I've also heard that there's a chance my Queen won't survive the treatment -- also distressing. In the case she doesn't make it (though I'm hoping I provided enough ventilation so that she does!) I may be looking for a Queen. Does anyone have any locally-raised, untreated Queens for sale? If not, would it be okay to let the bees rear their own Queen?

Thank you!

Backyard Bees

Re: Might need a new Queen

Post by Backyard Bees » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi, SabinaBailey!

Sorry for the late response, I am just seeing this now. How are your bees doing? Did you get ever get your question answered?
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306
http://www.BackyardBees.com