Purple prairie clover (Dalea purpurea)

Discussion and questions.
Ron Podhajsky

Purple prairie clover (Dalea purpurea)

Post by Ron Podhajsky » Sun May 06, 2018 6:31 pm

I seek information on purple prairie clover (Dalea pururea) or links to information sources that could help.
Do you know anything, even ballpark estimates, of the economic value of Dalea purpurea plants or seeds--as might arise from their use in beekeeping?
I believe that Dalea purpurea seeds sell for about $50 per pound, but even at that, I don't know what the demand actually is. Any insight would help.

Dalea purpurea is one of the most prominent "forbs" in seed mixes designed for creating grasslands out of empty prairie land. It is extremely hardy and drought-resistant, and helps fix nitrogen in the soil or some crap like that. It is one of a fairly short list of plants that the Rusty Patch Bumble Bee likes/pollinates. The Rusty Patch Bee is threatened by extinction right now in 4 states.

Many thanks,
Ron Podhajsky

kristinahoney

Re: Purple prairie clover (Dalea purpurea)

Post by kristinahoney » Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi,
Dalea is a great bee plant for the reasons you've outlined. We have some nice plants for sale at Harlequin's Gardens. If you're thinking of pollinator habitat, check out pollinator.org and xerces.org for seed mixes for this area. Does this answer your question?
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
President, BCBA