switching out old frames

Discussion and questions.
mchyallen

switching out old frames

Post by mchyallen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:58 am

I am wondering what is the best way to switch out old brood frames when they always seem in use. I hate to deprive the bees of the pollen and honey on the frames and they almost always seem to have some brood in them.
Thanks, Michelle

Laura Tyler

Re: switching out old frames

Post by Laura Tyler » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 am

We date our frames and start cycling them out after they've been through a few seasons, usually in the spring before the population explodes. You're right, there's a bit of judgement involved. If a frame is full of brood we'll leave it in even if it's passed its "sell-by" date. We're not sentimental about pulling honey and pollen if it's really old. The dates help.

Curious to hear others' thoughts ...

TomTheobald

Post by TomTheobald » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:41 pm

I try to work a year ahead of myself. Comb that is getting due to be switched out is put in the bottom box during my spring manipulations. The following spring it is likely to be empty and can be replaced with new comb drawn out the year before and saved over the winter. Sometimes I will run a deep box or two as honey supers and those frames can be extracted or set aside for emergency feeding in the winter and spring, then used as replacements.

Andy Schwarz

Post by Andy Schwarz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 pm

This is how we mark our frames, this image shows all new frames for 2012. I prefer to burn the digits in vs using a marker that may have toxic fumes.
FramesMarked.jpg
FramesMarked.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 15438 times

donstu

Post by donstu » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:49 am

I've started moving to 3 deeps over the last couple of years.
First inspection, around mid March, the bottom deep is empty of brood with little honey / pollen left behind. These frames can be cycled out at that time with little or no disruption to the bees.
Experience thus far is limited, but it seems to be working. ... dons