not good at bees.. what now?

Discussion and questions.
dhopkins91

not good at bees.. what now?

Post by dhopkins91 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi all,
I have had my bees for 3 years. still no honey. i think i am not good at this.. we have a hive new this spring.. and i am pretty sure it doesn't have enough honey for the winter.

it is 4 medium supers high. does anyone want a bunch of bees.. I am soooo done. (not to mention the little girls got under my net and through my overalls and stung my right in my breast.. okay.. i'm kinda mad at them)

what oh what do I do with 10-40,000 little bees when I realize I am not a good caretaker? can someone come take them and save them?

thanks
d

Backyard Bees

Re: not good at bees.. what now?

Post by Backyard Bees » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I hope you hang there, D! Beekeepers across Boulder County reported dismal honey yields in 2011 and things are shaping up to be the same or worse in 2012. There's a widespread problem afoot. We are all struggling. It is not just you.

Two things you can do:

1. Make you hive cozier by reducing the number of supers you're using. If the current population fits in a single super, so be it. (We've successfully wintered small colonies over in a honey super.) Keep any brood and stored pollen/honey you find with the bees in the reduced colony. Store your extra frames & supers 'til spring.

2. Feed a 2:1 sugar:water solution starting now 'til the weather turns chill or until they're full, whichever comes first.
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306
http://www.BackyardBees.com