Honeybee Exchange

Discussion and questions.
donstu

Honeybee Exchange

Post by donstu » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Some folks will get to Spring with a healthy colony which needs to be split to avoid a swarm.
Some of those same folks will not want an extra colony because their equipment is full.
It's a colony in need of a home.

Some folks will get to Spring with an empty hive.
Their colony may have died for a wide variety of reasons we are not discussing here.
It's a home in need of a colony.

I'm trying to match these up with the added skill of someone who knows how to perform a successful split.
It's mostly about keeping track of needs and skills and geography.

This service may or may not be free for any of the people choosing to participate. I expect to be compensated when I spend a significant amount of time and effort. A person providing bees might expect to be compensated for the bees. A person providing split coaching or service may expect to be compensated for their knowledge and talent. I will not make this decision for anyone but myself. Still, I'm volunteering to collect and sift the needs and geography.

One example in case it will help ... Let's say Bill, in Broomfield has a healthy colony, but no extra equipment. He has no experience splitting. Let's say Sally, also in Broomfield has experience and talent splitting and is willing to coach. Let's say Kelly, in Westminster lives not that far from Bill and would like to receive a colony for his empty hive. All this is about is for Bill, Sally and Kelly to notify Don of their needs and/or services. A miricle happens behind the scenes and Don is actually able to see that Bill, Sally and Kelly might be a match. Don notifies them of each other. After that, they handle everything, including determining fair compensation for their efforts and goods.

If you want to play, please send me an email with your goods, talents and address, including city and zip. I make no promises, but it might work.

It will help me if the subject line of your email could read something like:
Santa Clause, Longmont, has 3 colonies to split, needs coaching

Get the idea?

Don: [email protected], 303-248-6677

donstu

Re: Honeybee Exchange

Post by donstu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 am

So far, this post has been viewed 198 times, but no replys. Perhaps that means there is no interest in this community sharing idea. If that is the case, no worries. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Meanwhile, I've received a bunch of email from the original post on the email list. Mostly, these are folks NEEDING a colony. This makes sense when we consider that the conversation started in November and people needing to SPLIT a colony didn't know it yet. Well now, in February, we are getting a lot closer to the time when we know a colony will need to be split.

If you have a colony that needs to be split and you are willing to give or sell that extra colony to someone in need, please let me know and I'll try to match you up.

I also need to know people with the knowledge to perform splits. If you are willing to volunteer or are willing to perform a split for charge and even if you are willing to provide teaching about split procedure, for fee or for free, then please let me know either here or by sending me an email. You can contact me at [email protected] or 303-248-6677.

moselle

Post by moselle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Don
I would like to be added to your honeybee exchange list.
I could provide a home for a split or a swarm. I can exchange Langstroth frames if that is helpful.
I can also help with splits. I live in South/East Boulder
Thanks for doing this.
Mo

julieherrin

Post by julieherrin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Don,
Great idea! I just joined BCBA recently and had not seen the post before. We have a weak hive that we've been advised may not make it till spring, in which case, we too would have a home to offer. I'd like to stay in the loop if it fits with whats available this spring. We live in southwest Boulder.

Thanks!
Julie

donstu

Post by donstu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 am

Status so far ...

11 folks want one or more colonies.
4 folks think they may have colonies to split.
2 people say they know how to split.

Next up is for me to pair up the right skills and desires by geography.

Obviously, not everyone may be served with these numbers, so I will be generally using first come first served. We'll see how it goes.

This is an experiment in community cooperation. Feedback is welcome. ... dons

revblazo

Post by revblazo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 am

Hello Don,

I feel that I have a pretty strong and productive hive that I would like to split. The hive is in Niwot and I would like too offer the split in exchange for mentoring on the split process.

Thanks

Michael Moss
970-846-6233

liralenli

Post by liralenli » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 am

I would love to have a split, and I'd be happy to pay for the experience of helping someone make that split. I'm completely new to all of this, so would love to learn anything I can, and I'd be very happy to recompense someone for teaching me and any materials and the bees as well.

donstu

Post by donstu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Just in case readers of this thread are curious, here is an example of what is happening in the background ... This is just intended as an example! Don't take it literally. The names have been changed.

Those with bees:
Ralph lives in Erie and may have colony that could be split. Colony is in Lang. Ralph requests split assistance. Sally has volunteered to provide this assistance.

Those wanting bees in order of their request:
1. Ken is in Hygiene and needs new colonies (2). Lang to Lang.
2. Sally is in Louisville and also wants a new colony. Lang to top bar (could be a challenge).

Reminder about the original proposal:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=816

If Ralph's bees are actually able to do one or more of these splits for you folks, then Sally will coach the splits. This is a multiple step process that takes several weeks. If Ralph has a colony with 8 seams of bees at first inspection, then they can probably be split 3 ways, if more, 4 ways (mother and 3 daughters).

Ralph gets to choose what price, if any, he is charging for his bees. Those of you receiving bees hear this: these bees represent genes that just successfully wintered in Colorado! That is a big deal. Charles notifies each receiver of their cost. I'm not involved with this part.

Likewise, Sally gets to choose what price, if any, she is charging for the split coaching. She negotiates this with the participants. Don is not involved.

You folks handle this from here. I volunteered to connect you. That's done.

end of example.

donstu

Post by donstu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Right now, it looks like the limiting factor is going to be split coaches.
I still have folks wanting bees and I still have folks willing to have colonies split, but I'm out of people willing to coach the participants through the process.

This doesn't have to be done for free. You can charge, as long as the participants are willing to meet your price. We all understand that education is valuable. I especially think hands-on education is valuable. Plus, the time of year for splits is unbelievably busy for beekeepers. You have to factor all this into your price.

If you can coach people through the split process, and are willing to participate in this crazy idea, please contact me. [email protected]. I've got customers for you.

Thanks in advance.

donstu

Post by donstu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Reporting in just as a final update for 2013.

This effort didn't work out in 2013. Every beekeeper potentially willing to share suffered severe losses before Spring. If the bees had been there, we would have shared about six colonies up and down the front range. We may have been short by one coach.

The good news is we have good hearted people in our community that really want to help each other as possible.

The bad news is that the losses have been so dramatic, it's just not possible to share. People need their stock for themselves.

Best wishes to all. ... dons