Help! HOA is banning beekeeping!

Discussion and questions.
petersdj

Help! HOA is banning beekeeping!

Post by petersdj » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I just found out that my HOA is voting tomorrow night, 1/10/2013, to ban beekeeping. I have one hive and have been laying low. Another resident asked for permission which drew their attention to the issue.

I'm looking for any public relation info pack or legal documentation to try to persuade the board not to vote on this. I'm in Longmont, and the city expressly gives every resident the right to have up to 3 hives within the city limits. Is this enough to stop this?

The agenda is here: http://www.foxcreekfarm.org.

Thanks!
Dan

donstu

Re: Help! HOA is banning beekeeping!

Post by donstu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

HOA forbidding honeybees takes precedence over the city ordinance in that particular neighborhood.
However, read your covenants carefully, they may not be able to add new rules or change the covenants without a large majority of residents in agreement.

petersdj

Post by petersdj » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 pm

They are changing the "guidelines" which may get them around the bylaws.

I will never, never, never live in an HOA again! I'm not sure where I'll live since all the new houses are built under HOA's!

Backyard Bees

Post by Backyard Bees » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm sorry I'm late to the thread, Petersdj. Did the new rule go through?
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306
http://www.BackyardBees.com

Queen Bee

Post by Queen Bee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 am

Welcome to the HOA world! I was reported a couple of years ago for planting low annual flowers around the tree in front of my townhome, something I had been doing for ten years, and for having a few bird feeders, Golden Finch feeders. I appealed and lost and now we have bare ground in the front and no feeders in the trees. Beauty is now against the law in our complex and ugliness reigns!

I doubt you will be successful in gaining the right to have hives but I don't know the specifics of your situation. However, the news is full of the near full dictatorial power and authority of HOAs in our court system. Freedom? Another myth destroyed!