I think my neighbor's bees are very sick!

Discussion and questions.
Bee and Flower

I think my neighbor's bees are very sick!

Post by Bee and Flower » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello Bee Keepers,
Today I noticed a bee in our front yard on a cleansing flight. I was curious so I followed it to our backyard. Then I noticed lots of bees going over our back fence. I peaked over and saw our neighbor had a top bar hive. I have never seen him outside working his bees etc. I noticed a lot of dead bees on the ground. Fecal staining on the hive, entrance and snow. The bees were very busy flying in and out and dumping a lot of dead bees on the ground. I doubt my neighbor has read much on bee keeping, he is just not that kind of person. He travels a lot and is very busy. I rarely see him outside. I don't know when he got the hive. His bees are in a shaded location all winter long that gets NO sun. There is no insulation of any kind on the hive nor is the entranced reduced in size.

We were planning to get bees this spring for the first time. We were planning to place our bees in the exact same spot as his but on the other side of the fence. There is lots of sun there, natural wind break, perfect location for a hive. His and our hives would almost be next to eachother with only a high wooden fence separating them .

I worry his bees are very sick. Dysentary, at worse nosema? I worry his bees will make ours sick. His bees will be sharing our bird bath for water and our apple trees when they bloom. Should I say something to him. Should we risk getting bees this year? What is your advice. Thanks Lesley

donstu

Re: I think my neighbor's bees are very sick!

Post by donstu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Yes, risk it for your own enjoyment.
Offer help if he gives you an opening, but do not push.

Best wishes ... dons