Help for Monarch High School

Discussion and questions.
reid.walker

Help for Monarch High School

Post by reid.walker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am

Hi all,
My name is Reid Walker and I've been a biology teacher in BVSD since the mid '80's. Students in my Biotechnology class are interested in looking at the evolution of honey bees by tracking the amount of diversity of the enzyme malate dehydrogenase in several sample populations of bees.

I have kept bees in the past and am willing to set up hives in my backyard again. But before I do that, I have a few questions that you might be able to help me with:

1. We need a wide variety of samples but not very many bees from any one hive (around 20). I realize that there might be some diversity within the hive due to the mixing of the drones' sperm in the spermatheca --and we will look at this carefully-- we are very interested in bees that came from different parts of the country or from overseas. Does anyone have any suggestions about where we might pick up some samples that fit our needs?

2. Is anyone willing to help me find a starter colony or two if it becomes necessary for me to get my hives operating again? I know I need to jump on this if I want to get a hive up and running at this late date so any responses would be helpful.

I thank everyone in advance for any help you can give us.

Reid Walker
Monarch High School Science

donstu

Re: Help for Monarch High School

Post by donstu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Reid,
I raise Colorado Mutt Honeybees which I get from swarms. I have 13 living colonies today. This number is always changing as they die or as I split or catch swarms, etc. I started Winter with 24. I performed my first 2013 split Saturday. My hives are spread from LIttleton to Hygiene, about 50 miles South to North.
I have children that attended Monarch for a while.
I am willing to help you wil samples of honeybees from many hives.
I cannot promise, but may be able to help get you a living colony or two.
Some things I'm willing to do at no cost to you, others will involve a fee. If you wish to learn more about my company and contact me please check out honeybeekeep.com. Hover over Honeybee Keep in the menu and choose Services from the drop down.
Best wishes ... dons