Backyard Beekeeping

Discussion and questions.
heysuberbia

Backyard Beekeeping

Post by heysuberbia » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Boulder and would love to start a small colony in my backyard. However, I live in a relatively urban part of Boulder (off Walnut). Are there any regulations that would disallow me from starting a colony in my backyard. For instance, do you have to have a certain size property or live in a certain residential zone to be allowed to beekeep here?

Thanks!

Backyard Bees

Re: Backyard Beekeeping

Post by Backyard Bees » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for your question. Beekeeping is not regulated within the city limits of Boulder though some HOA's do have their own restrictions. I recommend a neighborly approach: site your colonies with an eye toward minimizing their impact on neighbors; limit the number of colonies you're keeping; be prepared to manage swarms; and share your honey when it's available.

If you're part of an HOA you'll probably have to find and away-from-home place to keep your bees. The BCBA email list and this forum are both good places for info on alternate bee locations.
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306
http://www.BackyardBees.com

heysuberbia

Re: Backyard Beekeeping

Post by heysuberbia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 pm

This is all great info -- thanks for the quick reply. Very much looking forward to getting into beekeeping!