bees return to abandoned top bar hive

Discussion and questions.
cyn_husek

bees return to abandoned top bar hive

Post by cyn_husek » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm

With the Sept 2013 flood, I have been unable to properly attend to my top bar hive--pretty much ignoring it while we reconstructed our home. The hive was left intact with the flood, but ultimately the bees left at some point abandoning the hive altogether, which is how it's been up until yesterday. The hive is full of comb and honey--weighs a lot!! At least a third of the bars have cross combs. A bit of a mess due to lack of attention on my part. My intention was to clean out the hive later this summer; however, yesterday morning, July 14, bees suddenly showed up at the hive--apparently checking things out. By late evening they were quite a lot of bees flying about examining every aspect of the box inside and out. This morning, it looks like they've moved in, drinking heavily from the water we put out. They are no longer examining the outside of the hive box but seem to be setting up home inside, with a steady stream of bees going in and out of the front entrance. The bees seem calm and unperturbed by my presence.

I'm thrilled that bees have found this hive! I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the behavior. Is this a totally random event? What might I expect from a hive that sets up housekeeping in a hive box already full of comb and honey? Any recommendations, thoughts, or comments. By the way, the hive is in east Boulder not far from Eisenhower Elementary. Thanks! Cynthia

Backyard Bees

Re: bees return to abandoned top bar hive

Post by Backyard Bees » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi, Cynthia. Have you opened the colony to see whether or not you've got a cluster in there? This could be robbing behavior that you're seeing.
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306
http://www.BackyardBees.com

cyn_husek

Post by cyn_husek » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 pm

No, I haven't opened the hive, but I think you may be right about the robbing. I watched them this evening and it looks like they are helping themselves to the honey. They fly into the hive quite energetic, but when they emerge they looked they are "weighed" down. They sort of hover for a moment or two to collect themselves before taking off. A good many of them go to a nearby evergreen bush after they emerge. It looks like they're are cleaning their legs or something on the branches. It's fascinating behavior to watch--not something I've seen before. I presume there is no harm in letting them help themselves to the honey.

Backyard Bees

Post by Backyard Bees » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 am

Good observations, Cynthia. They sound interesting to watch!

Here's the potential harm:

• Robbing can spread disease. American Foulbrood is a particular concern
• In times of dearth robbing can trigger an aggressive, feeding-frenzy type of behavior that can affect nearby colonies. I don't see this as much of a problem this time of year but it's something to avoid.
• Any combs with pollen in them are vulnerable to wax moth infestation which makes a disgusting mess.

Harvest what you can of the remaining honey and wax. Freeze any combs you want to save to prevent further moth infestation.
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306

cyn_husek

Post by cyn_husek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank you for the insight and advice. This is good stuff to know. I just returned from an extended trip. The bees are still robbing the hive, but not nearly as frenzied as they were those first couple of days. I will work on cleaning out the hive as you suggest. Any big surprises and I'll post a message. Thank you!

Backyard Bees

Post by Backyard Bees » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks for the update, Cynthia. May all go smoothly for you!
Backyard Bees
P.O. Box 7426
Boulder, Colorado 80306