Easter Swarm-hive is still full HELP

Discussion and questions.
ddgp2too

Easter Swarm-hive is still full HELP

Post by ddgp2too » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Queen Sophia did her job TOO well. My bees have not quite celebrated their first year, so imagine my surprise when, while weeding today, I was suddenly in an enormous cloud of bees. They were not aggressive and they pulled in and settled into (not ON. IN.) my bee-friendly neighbor's roof, where he's allowed another colony to live for ten years. I got into the hive, fearing abandonment, but the hive is FULL! I only pulled an outermost frame in the top body and saw at least 8 swarm cells. I hadn't been in the hive since a balmy December day, when I removed Apistan strips. I noticed a lot of hatchlings in the past couple of weeks, but didn't want to breach the hive with so many babies on orientation flights.

I'm concerned that they will swarm again. I'm off to read through my beekeeping books, now.

Advice? Experienced Beekeepers interested in taking a look? One article suggested I leave the hive alone for 30 days to allow the new Queen to establish.

ddgp2too

Re: Easter Swarm-hive is still full HELP

Post by ddgp2too » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Oh, and I added a super today. Nothing like closing the barn door AFTER the fact...