Small Hive Beetle SHB

Discussion and questions.
kristinahoney

Re: Small Hive Beetle SHB

Post by kristinahoney » Thu May 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi Dana,
Those are not SHB. I'm not sure what they are exactly, but they may be in the same family, Nitidulidae, which would only narrow it down to many thousands of species. There are 100's of thousands of species of beetle with clubbed antennae, so don't let those bother you. Ditto for elytra (hard wings) that are shorter than the abdomen. I've found these beetles in a couple of colonies too and as soon as I have a minute, I'll sit down and try to key them out, post to the entomology list, and maybe ask Whitney Cranshaw at CSU for some direction. So, no need to worry, but I do think it's worth tracking down. I'll post it when I find out.

MLFrantzen, your beetle is different. That guy looks like SHB. How big is it or could you photograph it on something like a dime or ruler (metric preferably) for scale?

Anyone concerned that they have SHB should collect 5-10 in alcohol and send them to Beth Conrey, CSBA, coloradobeekeepers.org

Here's a good source for SHB (and more) info http://www.extension.org/pages/60425/ma ... ve-beetles.

Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Beehave mentoring and support
Boulder, CO

Cinibee

Post by Cinibee » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:51 pm

I have the same ones I think. I will try to get a better pic. This is my first year beekeeping. I also think I have wax moths. The hive has been weak and requeened before this. I just took out all frames and put them in freezer. After i shook all bees into clean box with new frames. Sealed it up but good and reduced the entrance for better defensible space. Not sure if I should put frames back in after the deep Freeze tho. I am also going to put tanglewood pest barrier at base of cinder blocks that hives are on to stop any crawler bugs from coming up from the ground.

kristinahoney

Post by kristinahoney » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Cinibee,
Which photos look like your beetles? Mostly what people are seeing are not SHB. Did the honey smell fermented? Was it a total slimy stinky mess? It would be with SHB.See my earlier post. Also, wax moths are everywhere t o some degree. Healthy bees will keep them in check. If they are actively destroying combs, then the problem is weak/sick bees. You should be fine putting combs back in the hive. It takes 10 pounds of honey to make one pound of wax, they can use the honey and pollen, and they can even recoup some protein from the larvae and pupae. Be careful with Tanglefoot, as it will trap bees as well as anything else (including grass and dirt). Is your hive still in one box? If so, close the screened bottom so they can control their environment better. If you'd like some help with your hive, contact me directly.
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Beehave mentoring and support
Boulder
[email protected]

KipDemott

Post by KipDemott » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Yeah this is a beetle!