Beginning Beekeeping is NOT for Dummies Spring 2017

Events of interest to BCBA members.
kristinahoney

Beginning Beekeeping is NOT for Dummies Spring 2017

Post by kristinahoney » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:24 am

Beginning Beekeepingis NOT for Dummies Spring 2017
The focus will be understanding bees and beekeeping so you'll have a scaffold on which to hang new information and a foundation for problem solving. I want to get you and your bees through the first year and point you at what you'll need for years 2-5. Topics we'll cover:

Equipment
Apiary setup
Starting with a package and nuc
How to work with your bees so everyone is happy
VARROA
Pests parasites diseases
Bee biology - development, nutrition, genetics, behavior
You and your bees through the seasons in Colorado

**This class will be especially helpful for those who have lost their bees and want to try again. Bee suppliers are starting to request or require that customers take a course before supplying bees!**
Classes will be offered on Saturdays in April. Register for one Part A and one Part B. You can break it up or do it all in one day. If fewer than 4 are registered for a session, it may be cancelled. Max class size is 15.
08 April 8:30 am - 12:30 pm Part A; 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm Part B
22 April 8:30 am - 12:30 pm Part A; 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm Part B
In addition, we'll have a hands-on apiary session at my house in spring when the weather is good for bees.
Cost is $100. When payment is received, your place will be reserved. Class size will be limited to 15. We'll split into smaller groups for the hands-on session. Classes will be held at my house in S. Boulder, CO 80305.
We'll use The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile 4th ed. To Bee or not to Bee in Littleton carries it. It's a great book to have in any case.
Feel free to email/call/text if you have questions and to register. I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know all of you this spring!
Cheers,
Kristina Williams,
Beehave LLC - mentoring and support for bees and their keepers
(720)278-6872
[email protected]
https://sites.google.com/view/beehavementoring