Swarming is a natural part of the honeybee reproductive cycle. If you’re lucky enough to see a swarm-in-progress, or to find one in a bush or tree, please call your local swarm hotline to connect with a beekeeper willing to collect it.
Boulder County Swarm Hotline: 1-844-779-2337
Denver Metro Swarm Hotline: 1-844-779-2337
Northern Colorado Swarm Hotline: 1-844-779-2337
(Berthoud, Fort Collins, Greeley, Loveland)
CSBA Swarm Hotline 2018
The statewide CSBA swarm hotline number is 1-844-SPY-BEES. Boulder County swarm calls will be sent to Beth Conrey, who will route them to BCBA members on the 2018 swarm list.
Beth Conrey is our Dispatcher. She will route the calls by proximity. Expect swarm calls from April 15 (few swarm calls) to a few more calls every day by 5/1; 15-40 calls/day around 5/15 through 6/15.
To-do List for swarm catchers:
- Join a bee club. You must be a member of a CSBA-associated club to be on the call list. Please note that these swarms are intended for club members’ use only; selling swarms is not permitted.
- Sign onto the BCBA swarm catcher list.
- Bee prepared and have necessary equipment: Veil and gloves, box and tape, vacuum, extension cords, ladder, brush, clippers, sugar water, extension pole, bucket. Bee suits/jackets mandatory.
- Prepare hives in advance to accept the swarm.
The swarm catcher’s responsibilities include:
- Give accurate phone #s and availability times
- Do not over-commit!
- Mandatory follow-up call to Beth to verify swarm has been taken care of
For bee removal from a building or structure:
- Miles McGaughey 720-771-4304
Note: A swarm that has started to colonize a building or structure is trickier to remove than one that hasn’t, and removal will require the services of an experienced beekeeper.